Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Thing 10

I think I'll be outnumbered on my opinion here, but I'm going to say it, nonetheless. I don't like the idea of Chartership. Ok, it's out there. Say what you may about me. Here's my two cents, for what it's worth: I think your degree should be all the qualification you need. If you need to get a Charter fairly quickly after degree, then the degree wasn't good enough.
I do agree with CPD and updated learning, don't get me wrong. But isn't that Professional Education and perhaps the dreaded License to Practice idea. Maybe I don't fully understand Chartership. I want my professional body making sure that the University qualification is outstanding. I want it to regulate who's coming out of Uni and to make sure that the international standards are adhered to. I don't want to have to reprove my abilities to get a higher paycheck.
I am an American living in England. I have a Master's from an American University but I work professionally in London. I have applied for and been offered jobs that 'required' Chartership but I am not Chartered, nor do I plan on ever being Chartered as it seems to me to be totally unnecessary. I get the job and the pay because of my qualifications, skills and abilities and I think that is the way it should be.
This is my opinion. It would be interesting to here from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment